Gresham Parish Council

Gresham is a North Norfolk village situated approximately three miles south-east from Sheringham and four miles south-west from Cromer.

The village history goes back to 1086 when it was recorded in the Doomsday Book as one of the holdings of William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey. The manor was held at one time by Thomas Chaucer (1367-1434) , Speaker of the House of Commons and a son of Geoffrey Chaucer, the father of English poetry.

The village also gave its name to the Gresham family of which Sir Thomas Gresham was the founder of the Royal Exchange and his brother Sir John Gresham, founded Gresham`s School at Holt in 1555.

On the edge of the village are the remains of Gresham Castle, a fortified Manor House abandoned towards the end of the 15th century.

The medieval Church of All Saints, Gresham, is an ancient building of flint with stone dressing, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a circular embatteled western tower containing two bells. It also contains the best of the four seven sacraments fonts series to be found in East Anglia.

The Parish Register dates from 1559. In 1913 the adult population was 388 and a century later, in 2013 it had fallen  to 331.

The village is made up of Upper and Lower Gresham. Village facilities include Gresham Primary School, a recreational area known as Gresham Park, the Village Hall, All Saints Church and allotments at The Routs.

 

 

Posted in Home | Leave a comment